Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Creamy "Cool" Slaw

Do you ever have one of those foods that you really can’t explain why you like it so much, but you just do…

One of my pre-vegan favorites was coleslaw from Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I will give you a second to absorb how awful everything about that statement is. However, at one time I could easily gobble down some KFC sides like I was on the tasting payroll. Clearly, I am no longer a visitor to KFC, but I still have a special affinity for coleslaw.

When I saw this recipe in Appetite for Reduction, I knew I had to try it. Here is a lowdown of why I love it.
  1. It has only a few (cheap) ingredients.
  2. It is lower in fat / calories that most other coleslaw.
  3. It is insanely easy to make.
In the spirit of Labor Day picnics, this is another excellent summer barbecue treat to impress all your friends. Who needs nasty old KFC anyway?


Cool Slaw

1/4 cup Raw Cashews
2 tbsp White Onion
5 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup Water
1 tsp Agave Nectar
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1/8 tsp Salt
14 oz Coleslaw Salad Mix

Put dressing ingredients in a blender and blend to smooth - at least five minutes. Mix slaw and dressing and let sit for 45 minutes.

Chubby Vegan Notes
  • Not much to say on this recipe because there is about 2 steps. 
  • The recipe does not say you need to soak the cashews, but I don't think it hurts, especially if you have a weaker food processor.
  • Make sure to give this time to wilt and don't serve it right away. Coleslaw is always better served the day after you make it and it has some time to get mushy and delicious.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, I used to LOVE that florescent green creamy coleslaw from KFC - so cool and sweet! I liked it more than the chicken!

    Thanks for this great alternative - minus the hint of dead chicken fat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fluorescent green cole slaw... Your right- it does have a bit of an odd color to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these look amazing! Am I ever glad we found your blog :)

    Can't wait to try the receipe!

    Happy Holidays!

    THANN
    Come visit us at www.thann.ca
    Our blog www.thannskincare.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...