One of my pre-vegan favorites was coleslaw from Kentucky Fried Chicken.
I will give you a second to absorb how awful everything about that statement is. However, at one time I could easily gobble down some KFC sides like I was on the tasting payroll. Clearly, I am no longer a visitor to KFC, but I still have a special affinity for coleslaw.
When I saw this recipe in Appetite for Reduction, I knew I had to try it. Here is a lowdown of why I love it.
- It has only a few (cheap) ingredients.
- It is lower in fat / calories that most other coleslaw.
- It is insanely easy to make.
Source: Appetite for Reduction
1/4 cup Raw Cashews
2 tbsp White Onion
5 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup Water
1 tsp Agave Nectar
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1/8 tsp Salt
14 oz Coleslaw Salad Mix
Put dressing ingredients in a blender and blend to smooth - at least five minutes. Mix slaw and dressing and let sit for 45 minutes.
Chubby Vegan Notes
- Not much to say on this recipe because there is about 2 steps.
- The recipe does not say you need to soak the cashews, but I don't think it hurts, especially if you have a weaker food processor.
- Make sure to give this time to wilt and don't serve it right away. Coleslaw is always better served the day after you make it and it has some time to get mushy and delicious.