Friday, March 18, 2011

Pierogi Casserole


What do the church ladies make in your town?

You know what I am talking about…  Every town has Nana’s that spend 11 months out of the year preparing for a church picnic. At every one of those church picnics there is one food item that people rave about. Maybe it’s baklava? Empanadas? Cookies? Seitan wings?

Picture = Bad
Taste = Amazing
Although my hometown didn't have a huge Polish population, I was baptized in a Polish church and my parents were married there. The Nana’s at that church got together every day for about 11 months making pierogi (by hand) for the annual Polish Picnic. It was a really big deal.

The weird thing is I really don’t remember eating them. I just remember the stories of how many they made. I am sure they were good though because they always sold out.

Now that I live in Polish Pittsburgh, pierogi are a part of life. Finding vegan pierogi is a bit challenging, so when I saw another ‘burgher post a recipe for Pierogi casserole I totally knew I could veganize it.

So presenting the Chubby Vegan Pierogi Casserole, just in time for St. Josephs Day!  (Thanks to my Polish co-worker for that bit of knowledge)

Although my little camera doesn't do it justice, it is rich, cheesy, and just good. Yum!

Recipe and more pictures after the jump…

Before the oven...
Vegan Pierogi Casserole
Inspired by: How Sweet It Is

4 -5 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut
1 medium onion, chopped
4 ounces of Daiya Cheddar Cheese
1 Tb. Nutritional Yeast
4 Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles (regular noodles will work fine too)
½  Cup of vegan butter (1 stick of Earth Balance)
2 teaspoons Olive Oil

Preheat oven to 350.

Peel potatoes and chop into smaller pieces. Immerse potatoes in water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Boil potatoes until tender, about 25-30 minutes. While potatoes are boiling, cook pasta according to directions. Drain.

Once pasta is drained, mix with one tablespoon of butter. Add pasta to the bottom of an 8x8” or 9x9” square baking dish.

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt one tablespoon of butter and add olive oil. Add chopped onion and cooked until soft and caramelized.

Drain potatoes and mash with remaining butter. Add cheese and nutritional yeast and mash again until potatoes are smooth and all ingredients are incorporated.. Fold in cooked onions.

Spread mashed potato mixture over top of lasagna noodles.

Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.

Serve immediately.

Chubby Vegan Notes 
  • Use less (or no) onion if you don’t love onion. I love onion, so I used one whole onion.
  • Nutritional yeast (nooch) is one of my favorite add ins; so good and such a great cheesy flavor. I suppose it’s optional, but I love it.
  • You can use other types of pasta with this if you don’t have lasagna noodles. How Sweet Blog suggested farfalle and I am sure you could use other types of flat noodles. It's hard to tell the noodles are even under there in these pictures!
  • I served this with pan fried and breaded Gardein chicken cutlets, steamed cauliflower, and cranberry sauce. It was like Thanksgiving in my mouth and everyone was invited.

3 comments:

  1. Yum, that sounds really homey and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is... Definitely a "comfort" food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I might just have to make this for my family. I'm half Polish and we eat always dress up for a fancy traditional Polish dinner at my great Aunts house on Christmas. Peirogies were one of the only vegetarian foods available at those dinners. This will be my first vegan Christmas so maybe you've saved me with this recipe and I can bring it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...