Monday, February 21, 2011

Orange Teriyaki "Beef"


I think it is only fitting after a post about Julie & Julia to talk about Meet the Shannons.

Have you heard of them?

Stop what you’re doing (after you read my post) and visit their blog. Their blog was one of my inspirations to start The Chubby Vegan. Meet the Shannons is a blog by Dan and Annie Shannon, two absolutely precious animal rights advocates who decided to veganize the entire Betty Crocker Cookbook.

Yes, veganize the entire thing; including fried eggs and every other thing your Aunt Edna made for summer barbecues.

They got the idea after watching Julie & Julia. Of course, like myself, they hated the disgusting amount of animal products used by Julia Child.

So why not take one of America’s most widely known cookbooks and show people that any of its recipes can be made vegan and totally awesome. Brilliant! I would call them vegan rock stars.

I applaud them and what they do. I would also be super happy to be invited to their house for dinner.  

Dan? Annie? I am waiting by the phone...

I tried my first recipe from Meet the Shannons last week and it was quite delish! It was my first time using Gardein Beef Tips and it was probably the most realistic looking (and tasting) fake meat I have ever used. Even though it has been over eight years since I have had hamburger, it tasted exactly like I remember it. Crazy!

So this recipe is the Shannons vegan version of Orange Teriyaki Beef from Betty Crocker. It was pretty good; give it a try and judge for yourself. Then, visit the Shannons and tell them how awesome they are.

I just did…

More pictures and the recipe after the jump.


Orange Teriyaki Beef with Noodles

1 bag Gardein Beefless Tips
14 oz Better Than Bullion Vegetable Broth
½ cup Teriyaki Stir-Fry Sauce (I used TJ’s Soyaki)
5 tablespoons Orange Marmalade
Dash of Ground Red Pepper or Cayenne Pepper
1 bag of Asian Mix Frozen Vegetables (broccoli, pea pods, water chestnuts, carrots)
1 ½ cups Whole Wheat Spaghetti Noodles or Rice Noodles
1 can Baby Corn
2 tablespoons Peanut Oil (for cooking)

Cook Spaghetti Noodles per package.

Steam the Frozen Vegetables.

Add peanut oil to a wok over medium-high heat and allow it to heat up. Add the Gardein Beefless Tips; cook until they’re brown and crispy on the edges. Remove from wok; keep warm. Leave the leftover Peanut Oil in the wok for increased yumminess in the next step.

In the same wok, mix Vegetable Broth, Stir-Fry Sauce, and Marmalade. Whisk the Marmalade in until it dissipates. Heat until boiling, adding the Cayenne Pepper right before boiling. Stir in the (no longer) Frozen Vegetables, Baby Corn, Spaghetti Noodles. Reduce heat to medium. Cook until the sauce boils, and then simmer for about 5 minutes.

If you use the teriyaki glaze instead of the stir-fry sauce like I think you should, your sauce might not boil; in that case just cook about 10 minutes.

Stir in beef. Cook a couple of extra minutes. Serve. Eat.

Chubby Vegan Notes
So realistic!!!
  • I used TJ’s soyaki, but (like they suggest) I think this would be better with a thicker teriyaki glaze. Probably more for sauce thickness.
  • I used a rice noodle in this, but I think it would also be great with a heartier noodle.
  • Didn’t have peanut oil and used canola… totally fine.
  • Gardein is close to heaven, but I think this would be equally amazing without it. I said it, so go about your business.
  • I think it is nice to really let this cook down a bit. My sauce wasn’t very thick until I got some patience and waited a bit. Cooking lesson I am terrible at… be patient!


4 comments:

  1. I love Meet the Shannons! I just made their pizza pasta tonight!!

    Patience.. it's amazing.. I'm so patient with my cooking and my son (okay, children in general).. everything and anyone else, all bets are off. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I would be about a billion times better in the kitchen if I had more patience...
    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...