Thursday, February 24, 2011

Roasting 101

Do you ever just think, “This is way too easy to be this good?”

I do; all the time actually. (i.e. roasting...) 

For some reason I have always had this irrational fear of using the broiler or the idea of roasting vegetables. It’s silly really. I thought you needed some kind of crazy pan or fancy tools I don’t have. Generally when I see a recipe that says “roasted ___” I just skip on by it.

But recently I made some amazing cauliflower soup that involved roasting cauliflower and potatoes. When I read the directions I realized that it was not nearly as complicated as I thought. 

Making this soup has put me on a roasting rampage. Carrots, onions, cauliflower, potato, garlic, broccoli, brussells sprouts, my cell phone, people that annoy me; really anything that will go on a pan with olive oil and it’s on.

I think roasting is a great way to use fresh vegetables if you have some that you don’t want to go bad.

Last week I took a smorgasbord of random veggies from my fridge, chopped them into nice sized pieces, sprinkled them with salt and pepper and added about two tablespoons of olive oil. I put it in the oven for about 30 minutes at 425 degrees, flipping them once halfway.

When they were done and beautifully roasted, I sprinkled nutritional yeast over the top and served them with cous cous. Add some Frank's hot sauce on the top and you have yourself a party in your mouth where everyone is invited.

Easy, delicious, light, cheap and just perfect! 

Now, back to contemplating what else to roast… Ideas?

2 comments:

  1. I've always been afraid of the broiler for some reason, too. I'm going to have to try roasting some veggies sometime soon. :) My bf's mother roasts potatoes, but I want to do what you did and have an assortment. Also I never knew how long or what temperature, so thanks for that!

    - Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could help! It really is so easy. Who knew right!?!?!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...