Thursday, May 19, 2011

Hot & Cold Sesame Salad


It was only recently that I discovered peanut butter could be merged with anything but jelly or chocolate.

For some reason, when I take a glob of peanut butter and mix it with soy sauce or any other non jelly related substance I just feel as if I am doing something wrong. Is that weird? Does anyone else feel that way?

I love peanut butter. I use it quite frequently. When I started making peanut sauces I had a bizarre reaction to blending gooey peanut butter with other ingredients. These kinds of things don’t “gross me out,” but I definitely have a reaction to it. Of course, how do most peanut sauces get their perfect “peanutty” flavor, you guessed it- peanut butter.
This is probably just a really strange observation, so take it as you will.

This noodle salad is from NY pixie and one of my top gals I wish would go vegan, Rachael Ray. Imagine, 30 Minute vegan Meals on the Food Network! The recipe was completely vegan on its own and required no modification. TY Rachael!

This is a really good summer noodle salad with just enough of a spicy kick to it. It would make a nice addition to a summer picnic or pot luck. I would also add that this is a great vegan dish to bring to a party. With this recipe people would never say, “Oh that is some strange vegan thing _______ brought.”

Never hurts to sneak in a little unsuspecting vegan love.


Hot & Cold Sesame Noodle Salad
A Noodle Salad Heart
Source: Rachael Ray

1/2 pound thin spaghetti
1/4 cup Tamari dark soy
1/4 rounded cup smooth peanut butter, softened in microwave 15 seconds on high
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
2 tablespoons hot sauce (preferably sriacha)
2 cups shredded slaw mix
1 cup bean sprouts
3 scallions, chopped on an angle
2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
2 tablespoons unsalted peanuts (optional)

Cook pasta to al dente, with a bite to it, then cold shock it to stop the cooking process by running it under cold water in colander. Drain the pasta very well.

In the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together soy, peanut butter, vinegar, oil, sesame oil, and hot sauce. Add noodles and veggies and toss to combine the noodles and coat them evenly with sauce. Sprinkle scallions and sesame seeds throughout the salad and serve.

Chubby Vegan Notes
  • This definitely has a kick to it, so if you are not a fan of spicy food, I would avoid this or leave out the hot sauce.
  • I added a tiny bit more peanut butter and rice wine vinegar into the recipe… I just felt it needed it.
  • Totally forgot the sesame seeds, which would have made this much better. Doh!
  • You could really use any long noodle with this. I used thin spaghetti, but any kind would be fine.
  • Always helps to let noodle salads marinate overnight; it just makes sure you absorb all of those lovely flavors!
  • I think you could add in some other things into this salad to make it even better… My suggestions are: more scallions, more bean sprouts, water chestnuts, or a couple sprinkles of red pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...