Have you ever heard of Chick-o-Sticks?
They are very unusual candy that tastes pretty much like the inside of a butter-finger; a crunchy candy made of peanut butter and coconut. I had never heard of them until a few months ago and I started seeing them everywhere.
I hosted an event at work around the same time that had a candy buffet. Low and behold, chick-o-sticks were on the buffet. When the event was over we had so much candy left over; literally pounds of candy. I took the chick-o-sticks and decided to do something creative with them.
What to do… what to do…
Chick-o-stick cookies sound like a good idea, right!?!?
When I first took these out of the oven I thought they were going to be a miserable failure. They looked terrible and didn't taste as good as I had hoped. But, after they cooled they were delightful and actually looked really cool; almost like a crackled Halloween cookie.
Whoever said you couldn’t use leftovers?
Source: Cookie Recipe: Vegan-A-Go Go / Concept: Me
3 tbsp water
1/2 cup vegan margarine
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup crushed chick-o-sticks (use a food processor)
3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a small dish, mix together the ground flax and water. In a food processor or large bowl, blend or mix together the flax mixture, margarine, sugar, and vanilla until smooth and set aside.
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, crushed chick-o-sticks, and chocolate chips. Add the margarine mixture and stir until well incorporated. Roll dough into balls, lay on cookie sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cookies cool 5 minutes before removing from sheet.
Makes 18 to 24 cookies
Chubby Vegan Notes
- See notes from previous time I made these cookies, with coconut…
- When I first took these out of the oven, they were kind of gross. I think melted chick-o-sticks are just not okay. Plus, they just did not look pretty. I let them cool overnight and it was a HUGE difference.
- These would make an excellent Halloween cookie. Who doesn't love orange and black?
- I brought these to a party and they were gobbled up very quickly. Evidently I am one of the few people who had never heard of a chick-o-stick.
- More photos on the Chubby Vegan facebook page.