Monday, May 2, 2011

(Almost) Raw Pie Crust



After coming off one of the best weekends ever, it just doesn’t even seem right to write about something so simple.

Let’s just say I have some serious posts coming up that I am so excited to share with all of you. I can barely handle it I am so excited.  *SQUEE*

Okay, okay… On to the pie crust…

So, you all know I have been really into researching the raw food movement. I am just fascinated by all of it. After my first raw appetizer in New York and a visit to a totally raw restaurant in Austin, I am just digging on it more and more.  I have no plans on being the Chubby Rawist, but I think integrating creative raw recipes into our cuisine is really great. Vegans are creative. Raw foodists take food creativity and kick it up to a whole new level.

This piecrust is from the Engine 2 Diet book and is the basis for a couple of different recipes in the book. I made the Chocolate Icebox pie from the book which 

1.      Thought was just okay
2.      Forgot to take pictures of…

Therefore we get to be creative and think of all the things you could possibly use this crust for. I have compiled a list of my suggestions, as well as the recipe, after the jump…



Raw Pie Crust

1 cup dates
1/3 cup walnuts
1/3 cup cashews
1/3 cup almonds
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (use raw vanilla for a totally raw crust)

Blend all ingredients together in a food processor to achieve a sticky consistency. Press the blended crust ingredients into a pie pan, pressing up along the sides.

Fill with whatever you think best…

Chubby Vegan Notes
  • If you have a food processor, this is the easiest thing on the whole planet. I don’t need to say much.
  • If you don't have raw vanilla (which I did not) than feel free to use any pure vanilla.
  • Here are my suggestions for potential pies / desserts using this crust:
    • Vegan cheesecake crust
    • Chocolate pie using vegan pudding
    • Use this as the bottom layer to some type of fudge.
    • Any fruit filling would taste really good with this, but I would lean towards strawberries & raspberries.
    • Raw apple pie
    • Three words… Banana Cream Pie
    • Finally, you could roll the blended crust into little balls, which would be like a small Larabar. Maybe even dip them in chocolate for a Larabar truffle. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...