Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Lemon Linguine Pasta


Inspiration is 99% perspiration, 1% lemon.
-       Chubby Vegan, 2011

I love getting recipe inspiration from people. A few weeks ago I asked folks on twitter if they had any suggestions for a kick butt lemon pasta recipe. I was in the mood for pasta, but not some boring one with just marinara. Lame!

Since everyone loves a food challenge, I got a few different suggestions from people that all sounded awesome. I put on my thinking cap and morphed a few different ideas together to come up with my first ever lemon linguine!

WARNING! For lemon lovers only…

Okay... if you stuck with me I am assuming you are a Larry Lewis lemon lover like me. You are in for a treat! I made this lovely, luscious, lemon pasta with a side of cashew ricotta and some sliced beefsteak tomatoes.

This pasta recipe uses the juice of 3 lemons, lemon zest, and lemon balsamic vinegar. Holy lemon Batman! 

So, proceed with caution, its about to get real yellow in here!

Recipe and more lovely lemony pictures after the jump!

Lemon Linguine Pasta
Full Inspiration Source: Your Daily Vegan & G Living

12.5 oz Linguine (you could use a pound if you want too)
3 lemons, juiced
Zest of 1 Lemon
5 Tb. Of Olive Oil
1 Tb. Lemon Balsamic Vinegar
4 Tb. Nutritional Yeast (nooch)
Fresh Basil (about 2 good size handfuls), chopped
Red Pepper Flakes (optional)

Directions:
  1. Cook linguine per package directions, drain, and set aside.
  2. While the pasta is cooking, juice all 3 lemons into in a medium size bowl. Add zest, olive oil and vinegar. (If you can’t find lemon balsamic vinegar, add one more Tb. of olive oil instead).
  3. Once the pasta is finished and drained, mix hot pasta with lemon juice mixture.
  4. Add chopped basil, nutritional yeast, and stir.
  5. Serve with red pepper flakes as garnish. 

Chubby Vegan Notes
  • I served this with Veganomicon cashew ricotta; which I absolutely love and can’t wait to use again. I think you could even mix the cashew ricotta right into the pasta for a one-bowl meal. Totally got this (superb) idea from YDV too.
  • Husband is a big lemon lover but he thought this was, “too lemony.” I can’t say I totally agree, but I may be a bigger lemon lover. If you only used two lemons, I still think this would be really good.
  • The nutritional yeast and red pepper flakes are great additions to this, so I would definitely add them. You could use vegan Parmesan instead if you would like.
  • Three words… FRESH BASIL ONLY 
Lemon Balsamic; so good if you can find it!
Husband helped cut tomatoes! 
Plated and ready to roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...