Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Vegan Los Angeles (Day Two)

Another Gratuitous LA Beach Scene
When I look back at my posts, I think I say things are “the best ever” or “the most delicious meal I have ever had” way too much.

Maybe I am just colorful?
Perhaps I over emphasize a bit?
Could I just like food that much?

I don’t know really. But what I do know is that these places in Los Angeles carry my highest recommendation. Both places were just awesome. Really, Bess pointed me in the right direction and I owe her a debt of gratitude. By gratitude I mean Madeleine Bistro donuts the next time I am in LA.





Anyplace that serves a good vegan breakfast is okay in my book. Add on some Babycakes cupcake tops and you just scored an A++ for me. I enjoyed my first ever Benedict (vegan or not) at M café, which was served with a grilled whole-grain baguette, steamed kale, tomato, tempeh bacon and topped with soy hollandaise. It was perfection on a plate. Plus, it was one of the best presentations I have seen in a long time. Yes, please!

Because I couldn’t resist, I also had some Babycakes cupcake tops too. Dessert for breakfast is okay, right? It is when you are chubby.






Veggie Grill is a vegan chain serving up “fast-food esque” vegan fare in the greater Los Angeles area. Really, I think this place alone is enough to make me want to live in LA. I had the Santa Fe Crispy Chickin’ sandwich which I haven't been able to stop thinking about. I think I may have dreamed about it a few times. This came with a side of perfect vegan macaroni and cheeze and we ordered sweet potato fries as an appetizer. To save you from my gushing, I will just say you need to add this place to your vegan bucket list, ASAP.

A little more after the jump...



So this is not a restaurant, but I feel a responsibility to share how cool these people are. I hosted an event in LA for work and this was the (non-vegan) caterer I chose. I told them I was vegan and they prepared me the most amazing buffet of food! There was about 7 plates of food, each one more delicious than the next. Guacamole, mushroom tarts, roasted veggie & bbq pizza, artichoke skewers, and the list went on and on. I am sure there are a million vegan caterers in LA, but I just wanted to give these folks a special shout out and love from a thankful Chubby Vegan.

Oh LA… I love you.

4 comments:

  1. I am totally guilty of waxing poetic about so many different foods/restaurants and I do have a discerning palate, I think I just love food so much that I must find "the best" of everything.

    It's been a minute since I've had that benedict but you can bet that's gonna change soon.

    And I can't say enough about how good veggie grill is. Glad you got both the sweet potato fries and the mac n cheez. I would seriously bathe in their chipotle ranch but for some reason I think it might be socially unacceptable/a colossal waste of a stellar condiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the presentation of that Vegan Benedict is out of this world! I'd give it an A++ on that alone, but after reading the ingredients...wow! awesome pic, awesome looking eats!

    and LOL @ Bess wanting to bathe in chipotle ranch! :D

    - rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I want to go to LA just for the food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man... You need to go to LA just for the food. The crazy part is I barely scratched the surface of awesome places. Bess recommended so many great places that I didn't have time to go too. It is just a very fun place!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...