Friday, June 10, 2011

Walnut Lentil Manicotti


If you have ever read my bio on the right side of the page, you can see I very clearly say, “I don’t write recipes.”

I lied.

I finally wrote my first Chubby Vegan original and I must say I am pretty happy about it. Now, I read lots of recipes- lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of recipes. So, if by some chance I got the inspiration on this recipe from something else than I apologize if I am ripping it off.

For now though I will take the credit and check this off my bucket list. Move over Martha, Chubby Vegan is moving in.

Okay, maybe not...

I was so excited about this recipe that I made my neighbor and her family come over and try it. Her 12 year old stepdaughter, who is unreal picky, loved it. I think my work here is done.

**drumroll**

Presenting my first Chubby Vegan original, Walnut Lentil Manicotti!

Recipe after the jump…


Walnut Lentil Manicotti

1 8 oz. box manicotti, cooked according to package directions

1 C. green lentils, cooked (about ½. C. dry)
½ C. Sundried tomatoes, packed in oil with herbs
½ C. walnuts
2 cloves, garlic
½ t. salt, to taste
½ t. pepper, to taste
½ t. oregano
½ t. basil
½ t. red pepper flakes
Pinch rosemary
Pinch Thyme

1 Jar of your favorite pasta sauce (or homemade if you are awesome)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cook manicotti according to package directions and set aside. Make sure the cooked pasta is kept separate so they do not stick together.

Prepare lentils in water or vegetable broth. Once lentils are cooked (about 20 minutes) add to food processor and pulse until lentils begin to break down. Add walnuts, garlic, and sundried tomatoes; continue to pulse until a paste begins to form.

Add spices and blend until everything is combined. Add more spices as needed.

Use about 2-3 tablespoons of filling to stuff inside cooked manicotti. If you want to be fancy, you could use a piping bag with a large tip, but a spoon and your fingers will work just as well.

Once all manicottis are filled, place in a medium size casserole dish and pour sauce over the top. Use as much or as little sauce as you would like.

Bake for about 8-10 minutes. Then, serve it to every 12 year old you know; word is they dig it…

Chubby Vegan Notes
  • The ingredient list is more or less estimates, especially the spices. Feel free to add or subtract spices as you see fit.
  • If you love lentils, cook more and add some to the pasta sauce. Lentils are one of my favorites!
  • I have never used canned lentils, but I imagine they would work fine in this.
 If you try this, make sure to tell me! I would love to hear what you think!!!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! This is a great idea! I LOVE lentils with a tomato based sauce.. perhaps topping the manicotti with some vegan cheeze sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude! this looks AWESOME!!!! and i love the idea above, melted mozzarella Daiya on top would be fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! I wish I had some daiya at home when I made this, but alas... Excellent suggestion!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...