Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sweet Potato & Cauliflower Curry


I like recipes. For so long I have clung to recipes as if they were life or death. I am slowly getting over that however because some of my favorite meals are those that you just throw together.

You know the kind; figure out what you have in your house, mix it in a pot, add some spices, and hope for the best. I have a friend that is a pro at that- although 9.9 times out of 10 it ends up being something Mexican. The moral of the story is that salsa, chili powder, and black beans make everything better.

Which we all know is true.

This is my throw it together for Sweet Potato & Cauliflower curry. It is the shell of a great recipe so you can add to it what you would like. It really came out of me having sweet potatoes and cauliflower that I needed to use, throwing them together in a skillet, adding some spices, and here you go.

Do you have a favorite throw it together recipe? What is it? 

Recipe after the jump…



Sweet Potato & Cauliflower Curry
Source: A combination of a million curry recipes

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed

1 tablespoon oil
1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets
¾ cup mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 ½ tablespoon curry
1 tablespoon water
1 can diced tomatoes, drained

Peel and cube sweet potatoes. Parboil for about 5-6 minutes.

Meanwhile, place oil in heavy bottom wok or skillet and heat on medium high heat. Add cauliflower and slowly sauté florets of cauliflower. Once cauliflower begins to sweat, add mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes.

Add cumin seeds, curry, water and mix.

Drain sweet potatoes and add to cauliflower mixture, combine. Add diced tomatoes. Continue mixing and sautéing for a few minutes.If you like your vegetables crunchier, turn off the heat and enjoy. If you want a softer cauliflower leave it on for longer. Garnish with parsley.

Chubby Vegan Notes
  • I would serve this over rice or quinoa. It would also make a good side item to something else.
  • A couple of things you could add: onions, tofu, green onions, garlic, or maybe vegetable stock instead of water.
  • I like curry so I added a decent amount. If you don’t love it just use less.
  • Water? I don’t know why, but I think water helps spread the flavor out a little more. You could use vegetable broth or more oil.
  • Suggestion: toasting cumin seeds helps bring out there flavor more. You could always add them first; I just didn’t.


1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you, throwing things together (especially black beans) is the best approach... I love having a kind of "soup" (sometimes I don't add enough water to be considered a soup though): I mix rice (leftover), black beans (leftover), frozen veggies (corn cobs, gotta love 'em), diced onion (fresh) and some garlic... to top it off, some curry powder (of course).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...