Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Mickey Cupcakes


“I can’t stand the rain, against my window… I, I, can’t stand the rain…”

It has been raining all day in the gloomy ‘Burgh today. It is nearing the middle of April and I have yet to see much sunshine poking through in Western Pennsylvania. 

Everyone needs sunshine.

That sounds like a Disney song.  (What a segue...)

So if you follow me on Twitter and have read some of my previous posts, you know I am a terrible cake “froster.” I freely admit it. A piping bag and I are not friends. People have given me all sorts of suggestions but I think I am just stubborn about it. I need to take a cake decorating class.

Just for fun I wanted to share my latest frosting mess. I guess it isn’t that bad but it sure isn't perfect. Since I like perfection (which evidently is a Taurus quality, so I have been told) I am just not happy unless it’s the best cupcake you have ever seen. I made these cupcakes for one of my students who got a job at Walt Disney World.

The cupcakes tasted great, but I could pick apart their aesthetics all day. But, I won’t.

Instead I will just think like Disney; forget the gloomy rain, forget my poor piping bag skills, eat my cupcake and say, “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!" Yes!

If you are riveted to make your own Mickey cupcakes, follow me after the jump…


Both the recipe for the cupcakes and the frosting came out of one of my absolute favorite cookbooks, “Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World.”

I highly recommend it not only for the super easy vanilla cupcake recipe, but also for the even easier frosting recipe (which I have posted before.) Plus, there a million other vegan cupcakes in this book, each one that sounds even more awesome than the next.

I watched this video (below) for help on how to frost these cupcakes to look like Mickey’s iconic silhouette. The recipe at the end is not vegan, and the cupcakes don't look a whole lot different than mine, but the video is still a good guide.


So use your imagination, make your favorite vegan cupcake recipe, and have at it. Good luck!

6 comments:

  1. Your's look far better than the ones in the video. Your's have character (pun not intended).

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only thing I like better about the cupcake image above is the color of the Mickeys. Yours looks a little too much like something Nana would leave behind on your basement floor. I'm sure they tasted delicious though. :)
    -Caity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better to look like crap and taste delicious than look delicious and taste like crap, that's what I always say!
    -Caity

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks so adorable and tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these are adorable too :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...