Monday, April 11, 2011

Fried "Chicken"

It is incredible how intoxicating smells can be.

In all of my heart and conscious mind I have no desire to eat things like fried chicken or bacon. Any weird desire for that kind of thing is completely gone. Lucky me! But, for whatever reason, when I am in a confined space and people are cooking certain things (fried chicken or bacon) I feel like Pepe Le Pew sniffing in the air for the lady skunk (whose name is actually Penelope Pussycat).

Phew… It feels good to get that out. Does that make me a bad vegan?

The thought of eating bacon or fried chicken repulses me beyond belief, but those smells just do something to my head. It’s like a drug.

*Light Bulb*

Alas, I know better. I know that the chicken frying in the pan is a life lost from horrible treatment and factory farming. I know that bacon is a pig that is smarter than most of the people I interact with on a daily basis. They are lives, not food. So take that drug like smells! I am stronger than you!

Plus, I have a vegan “fried chicken” recipe in my arsenal that is out of this world. This little ditty uses Gardein Chicken Fillets or Scaloppini with a light breading and quick trip in the frying pan.

This recipe is a super easy one from Vegan Pandamonium that she modeled after an Argentinean recipe from her mom.  So cute! One of our friends, who happens to be a chef, tried it and said, “This tastes just like fried chicken.”

Why yes. Yes, it does.

Recipe after the jump…



Argentine Milanese
Source: Vegan Panda

1 Package of 4 Gardein chick'n filets or scaloppini
3 TBL water
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 tsp oregano
Whole wheat bread crumbs
All Purpose Flour
3 Tb. Olive Oil
Pinch of salt
  1. In a bowl, combine the lemon juice, water and oregano.
  2. Take each chicken breast and dredge it in flour, then the lemon juice mixture and then coat it in bread crumbs.
  3. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry each chick'n breast a couple minutes on either side until golden brown.
  4. Place the breast on a paper towel to let the oil drain. Sprinkle the chick'n with a pinch of salt. Serve with your favorite veggies and slices of lemon.

 Chubby Vegan Notes
  • This recipe is pretty much “as is.” I didn't change anything to it except use Gardein Scallopini (which comes in the frozen section.)
  • If you buy Gardein Scaloppini and are not sure what to do with it, this is it.
  • I served this with steamed cauliflower, cranberry sauce, and pierogi casserole. Not the most low fat meal, but definitely is tasty. Serving this with any delicious vegetable as a side (asparagus, steamed kale or spinach, or peas) would be great!
  • The scallopini comes frozen. I defrost it for at least an hour or so before starting the breading process.
  • Although I don’t always run to “fake” meat; this would make a believer out of anyone.


4 comments:

  1. This is perfect! I have 2 scallopinis that I didn't know what to do with. This might just be dinner for tomorrow! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! Hope you like it as much as i do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the gardein meats - I made chicken parm in a similar way.

    I especially love their crispy tenders...mmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...