Monday, January 24, 2011

(Steelers) Black Bean Hummus

I eat so much hummus I should just start growing garbanzo beans in my backyard.

Maybe invest in a hummus factory?

All of the above?

It is a rare day when I don’t go to the grocery store and buy massive amounts of hummus. It is one of the few things I can buy in bulk and know, without any doubt, that I will always finish all of it. It is pretty much my number one, go to vegan staple.

So why have I never just made my own? I don’t think I realized it was so easy.

Yesterday was a Steelers Sunday and we were invited to a friend’s house for a “Steelers Party” complete with yellow and black…everything. In situations like this, one has to make something to go with the theme!

*racking brain & searching the internet*

A ha! Spicy black bean hummus! Serve it in a yellow bowl AND complete.

There are a million hummus recipes out there but since my party hosts love spicy food, I thought I would gladly oblige and make a hummus with a kick.

Really basic ingredients and some powerful spices really make this hummus pop. You can adjust the spices as necessary to make it more or less spicy but I found what is listed is pretty good for a nice (but spicy) flavor.

Head after the jump for the recipe and more pictures.


(Steelers) Black Bean Hummus

1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or more to taste
1/4 cup chopped garlic or more to taste
3 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
1 lemon, juiced, or more to taste
1 cup water or as needed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground red (cayenne) pepper or to taste
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin or to taste
2 1/4 teaspoons salt or to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper or to taste
1. In a food processor or blender, combine garbanzo beans, black beans, olive oil, garlic, tahini and lemon juice. With the motor running, drizzle in water until the beans are blended and a smooth consistency is achieved. Add cayenne, cumin, salt and pepper, and then blend again.

2. Taste; if desired, adjust seasonings and flavorings.

Per 1/4-cup serving: 96 calories; 4g fat; 1g saturated fat; no cholesterol; 4g protein; 13g carbohydrate; 3g fiber; 520mg sodium.

Chubby Vegan Notes
*This makes about 4 cups, so feel free to halve the recipe if you don’t want so much. (It will keep, covered and refrigerated, for 5 days)
*It really says ¼ cup of garlic… It is pretty powerful so if you are not a big garlic person you can definitely scale it back. I probably will the next time.
*All of the spice measurements are adjustable. The spicier you want it, the more you add. Less is less.  You get it.
*This went really well with blue corn chips, but you could also serve it with chopped vegetables. For a real Steelers party, maybe some sliced yellow peppers?

Black beans and chickpeas.
Lemon juice... such a staple.
Pre-mix the spices... saves so much time!
Whoa garlic!  
Tahini... or sesame seed paste
Step 1 - all but the spices
First look!
Step 2: Adding the spices

Not really black, but pretty close!


6 comments:

  1. it looks kind of thin/runny -- what was the texture like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to make my own hummus - if I want to eat it - because I'm allergic to tahini. I've found avocado is a great substitute though.

    I never thought to add black beans but that sounds like a great addition!

    and PS - not a Patriots fan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Caity- The texture was not as thick as most commercial hummus. I would just add less water to make it thicker. It is more of a hummus dip.

    @Heather- never heard of a tahini allergy! Avocado would be great or I honestly think you could drop the tahini out of this and it would still be good. "Appetite for Reduction" (a vegan cookbook) has some great tahini-free hummus recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and btw... Boston sports always hold a special place in my heart but you have to go with the flow wherever you live. ie: Georgia, Pittsburgh ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow..its wonderfull .I like it very much..Thanks for sharing it.. 21 Day Juice Cleanse

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...