Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Why I Love Animals...


Have you ever just looked at an animal? Asked yourself what they are thinking…? Thought about their life? Thought about what they experience…?
People try and justify why it’s okay to eat cows, pigs, and chickens because they say they don’t feel pain the same way as humans or they are killed in a “humane” way. But when you look into their eyes, can’t you feel that they have beating hearts and feel the same way we do.
I always find it amazing that people can look at a baby pig or a puppy and “ooo” and “ahhh” at how cute it is… Then they can take that baby pig or puppy and hold it and cuddle it… love it so much. Then they can take that puppy and take into their home and let it run free, eat from their plates, give it endless hours of attention. That puppy grows up and they consider it part of their family. That baby pig they can walk away from and eat it for dinner. Just doesn’t make much sense to me.
Don’t get me wrong, I try to look at the bigger picture but sometimes there are just inequities in the world that I question. As for me, I grew up with no special love for animals. Actually, I was petrified of them. Today, I still harbor a small twinge of fear that a dog, cat, or cow is just going to get pissed off and try to eat me. Perhaps out of retaliation? 
Who knows really?
But today my love for animals is real. I have four amazing dogs that have changed my life. I wonder everyday what they are thinking or how they have the capacity to love me so much. What makes them different from the beef (read: cow) or bacon (read: pig) that people devour every day? 
Just look into this face and and ask yourself, "how can I eat him?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...