Friday, January 14, 2011

Easy Vegan Friday

To beans or not to beans… that is the question.

I just love black beans. When I was a wee chub, not quite flourished into the chubby vegan I am today, I was a server at Chili’s. Yes, the fried steak, 2000 calorie fried onion, and totally non vegan friendly Chili’s. Gross 

Our default side on all quesadillas and fajitas was rice and black beans. When I first started I remember thinking that the black beans just looked like a pile of gross on the plate.

Until the day I first tried it.  *angels singing*

I was opened up to a world of delicious. My prior beans experience was only with Boston Baked Beans. Since I grew up in Boston, I guess this makes sense.

My love for black beans remains today and it is one of the easiest things to make. Canned, made fresh, in a soup, alone, or with a giant burrito; I will tear up some black beans wherever or whenever I can.

I found this amazingly easy Crockpot recipe on Fat Free Vegan, an awesome vegan website with thousands of great vegan recipes.  It’s so simple it hurts.

1 bag of black beans + 1 jar of salsa + water + Crockpot = DELICIOUS

Since it is a Crockpot recipe it does take a little bit of time but it is super worth it.

Check out the recipe and more pictures after the jump. Beans for all!





Aztec Black Beans

An easy Crockpot dish using just two ingredients for delicious flavorful beans without any fat. You must soak the beans the night before.

1 pound dried black beans (or turtle beans)
16 ounce jar salsa (your favorite kind)
*For fun, I added a pinch of cumin, salt, and chili powder after about 10 hours

Rinse beans, removing any foreign objects. Place in a large bowl and cover with water and allow to soak at room temperature overnight.

Drain beans and place in a crockpot with the salsa and stir. Add enough water just to cover the beans. Cover and cook on low all day, 8 - 10 hours. (I think 10 hours makes better beans)

Yield: 10 - 12 side dish servings or 6 - 8 main dish servings.

Pictures of black beans aren't always pretty...
Better.... 


2 comments:

  1. Just found you through Terra, SWF! I'm going on two years Vegan...began my journey four years ago when my husband moved me to Amish country and I started passing my dinner every night on my way home?! Gave up one animal at a time and then he brought home baby chicks (for eggs) and I was completely done! We have a small farm..but they're all family, not food. Look forward to following you!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story and thanks for checking out my site! What you said, "they're all family, not food" just kind of sums it up for me. Such an important message and a great way to look at living a cruelty free life.

    Love and tofu,
    CV

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...